Wednesday, April 2, 2008

I heart Vitamin D

I have a million things I should be doing today, like studying for an exam I have tomorrow, but the sun is finally shining and it's not totally freezing outside. We got out I's bike and the chalk and the kids and I have spent the past few hours soaking up the sunshine. It is really nice (well nice compared to the weather we've had) and I think the kids were as excited as I was to be out there. I kept feeling guilty and thinking I needed to be doing other things so I would say okay guys it's time to go in and they would both beg for a few more minutes. I was secretly wanting them to because I really didn't want to go in either.
I cleaned out the flower beds that are no longer covered in snow and frozen (I still have a few that are). It felt so good to be outside and working in the yard. It is a chore I completely love to do. There is just something rewarding and fulfilling about it. Now I don't have a beautiful amazing yard (someday) but I love working with what I have.
I love working with my children. I think it's so important to have a common goal to work towards even something like raking leaves in the yard. It brings us together as a family. I got to just enjoy my children and see the world through their little eyes. I love that they are so excited about things I have forgotten about. I love that they remind me to stop and enjoy looking at the funny way the clouds are moving or watch the birds and try to figure out where they are flying to. There are so many amazing beauties in this world and there is something very refreshing and calming to stop and enjoy them with a child. Their wonder and curiosity makes me smile and sparks my inner wonder and curiosity.
I remember planting flowers and gardening with my parents. It was always a family activity and they involved everyone as much as possible. It was time we got to spend as a family, talk and have fun. It's those memories I cherish. Those are the foundations I want to pass on to my children. I want them to know that work can be fun and rewarding.
So today, instead of studying for my all important exam, I was making memories with my children. Probably memories I will remember more than they will but I got to see my children laugh and play and help their mom and that's more rewarding than any A on any test.

No comments: