Monday, April 7, 2008

Blink of an Eye

It's really scary how fast life can change. Today I went from being stressed about my Anatomy and Physiology exam that I have tomorrow to a much bigger, deeper worry. I hate those phone calls. The ones that make your stomach drop and your heart race. I have received three of them. The first one when my Uncle died. That was the first personal experience I have had with death. My grandfather died when I was very young so I don't remember much about that experience. I remember exactly where I was when my dad called to tell me my uncle had died. I remember the feeling that rushed over me and the ache for my aunt and cousins. The next phone call was when my Grandmother had passed away. That one was harder for me. She was my grandma. She was the nurse that was going to help me through school. I wanted both my grandma's to see and hold my babies. I know they did, just not on this earth. I experienced the same feeling today when my stepmom called to tell me my dad was being rushed into surgery. It's amazing to me how fast all the things in life that really don't matter slip away in that moment and all that matters are the things that REALLY matter.
I'm so thankful for the faith and example of little children. Being so far away from my dad there was nothing I could do but pray. My little boy was so concerned and sat with me and talked with me about Grandpa being sick. Then he prayed with me. After the prayer he said, "Mom, Grandpa will be better now." What faith and love they have. It was shortly after that I received another phone call and this one was much better news. Everything went well and Grandpa is home resting.
I learned some valuable lessons today. Never put off that phone call to loved ones to tell them you love them or just to talk. My dad has been on my mind this past week because I haven't talked to him because I'm never home between school and running around kids and everything else. I also learned family is the most important thing. These things are things I already knew. They are things I think about and am thankful for daily. It's things like this that really put it all into perspective and help us remember to say I love you before leaving or making sure to give your kids a goodnight hug.
I love you daddy. Thank you for all you do and the many things you have taught me in life. Most of all thank you for being my wonderful example and teacher. Get feeling better and I will see you soon.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

So glad that things are going well with the recovery...

Chantri said...

Thanks for sharing this. You help to put things into perspective when "life" gets in the way of what is really important. My prayers are with your Dad and the rest of your family.
P.S. Hope you had good luck on your tests! I'm so proud of you that you are doing the whole school thing all while being a rad Mom...YOU GO GIRL!

Sotutus said...

Lara,
I'm so glad your dad is doing well. Things like that really put everything else into perspective. I'm also so excited to see you blogging! I can't believe I found you. Hopefully we can stay in touch. Check out our blog at sotutusinidaho.blogspot.com.
Aubri