Saturday, July 5, 2008

Cookies


I love sweets. I love cookies, cake, candy, and especially cup cakes (white with white frosting, YUM!) Well my all time favorite cookie is meringue. They are crunchy but light. They melt in your mouth and are so smooth and wonderful. There was a grocery store in my hometown that always had them while I was growing up and my mom would get them for me. Well that store went out of business and finding these cookies since then has been no easy task. There have been a few occasions that my mom or I have been able to find them but the stores don't usually carry them for very long. I haven't had a meringue cookie in years. Well a few weeks ago I was really wanting one and I got to thinking that maybe stores here in NJ carry them. Well when I was at the grocery store a few days later I had forgotten about looking for the cookies and was just trying to hurry and grab the things on my list. I was passing the bakery in the store and what do I see out of the corner of my eye, buckets and buckets of my favorite cookies! I get closer and notice all of them are broken. I don't care little pieces taste as good as big pieces. Then I get even closer and all the tubs of cookies have a heavy layer of dust on them. My spirits are sinking. These have obviously not been touched in quite awhile. I'm standing there trying to justify the pieces and dust. Well maybe the store just did some remodeling and they got dusty and this shelf hasn't been cleaned off. Then I catch the sell by date on the package. Yeah it was January 22, 2007!!! Not even 2008 but 07!! They had been sitting there for a year and a half! I was devastated. I finally find my wonderful cookies and they are expired, dusty and broken. Who would do such a horrible thing. I kept thinking I was in a bad dream that was just teasing me because I have been wanting these cookies. The sad thing is even with the dust, the expiration date and them being in crumbles I still stood there holding the package forever trying to decide if it still might be worth buying them! Sad, I know. I put them back and sadly walked away but now I really have been having dreams about the cookies! How mean! So now I am on the lookout for non-expired, non-dusty, whole cookies. Wish me luck on my hunt and if you know of any stores that sell them I would gladly pay shipping to have you send them to me.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Oh crap, that is too hilarious...Really sad, but hilarious! I don't know if I would have resisted! lol.